Thursday, August 9, 2012

Number One Nutrition TIp

What did you have for breakfast this morning??

I ask this question to every client during every session. They know its coming so before the jet out the door to work or come train with me they stop to have something that will constitute a good answer to that question. The reason I do this is simple. Having a good protein rich breakfast is the foundation to any exercise and nutrition program.

"Yeah Yeah we get it. Your saying that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, heard it before."


Then why is it so hard to do??

Well the common answer is that we barely have time to get out of bed in time to get the kids to school or haul ass to work, let alone prepare some sort of actual meal before doing those things.

I'm guilty as charged.

I absolutely hate getting up in the morning more than anything else I have to do everyday. I hit the snooze button until the rational for how many minutes I can stay in bed has come crashing down to ground zero.

For that reason (and the fact that I study and implement nutritional tactics for a living) I consider myself an expert on the quick breakfast. So I have here a couple of quick fixes so to speak to help get your metabolism going with that first meal of the day.

1. Boiled eggs- OK so I don't personally use this one because eating boiled eggs would make me vomit on my shoes but it works for those of you with a less sensitive palate. boil a half dozen eggs and put them in a zip lock bag or small bowl in your fridge. Grab two of them and a piece of fruit on the way out the door and you have a nutritionally solid breakfast that you can eat on the drive to work.

2. Protein Shake- STOP!!!! Don't skip this one because you think protein shakes are reserved for the meat heads with the cutoff shirts and gallon jugs of water. There are lots of options for these meal replacement shakes that are between 150-250 calories and would make a great quick breakfast. You can also get some plain protein powder and mix in fruits and vegetables to make you own delicious concoction of smoothie goodness. Email me for some suggestions

3. Yogurt- Having Greek yogurt with berries and honey is as fast as it is delicious. You can get them premixed or you can create some sort of delicious mixture yourself.

4. Leftovers- So you don't really have to eat "breakfast food" for breakfast. Leftover steak or chicken form the day before is a good breakfast as well.

As long as you are getting a good solid source of protein then you will be setting up your metabolism for success. Still not getting it done?? Having trouble with lunch or dinner?? Check out these ready made meals that get delivered to your house.

Just remember that if you arent eating breakfast then you are probably not going to get results like you would like. It is always the first nutritional goal I set for my clients and I want you to reach your goals just like I do for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment